We have been verified members of the Bord Bia Origin Green programme in Ireland for a number of years. The programme is the world’s only national food and drink sustainability programme.
It enables the industry to set and achieve measurable sustainability targets.
Our Sustainability Commitments (2012-2025)
Raw Material Sourcing Targets: Packaging and Peat
- 20% reduction in peat use on all Monaghan Irish growing farms (Tyholland, Midlands, Claremorris farm) by end 2025 and research peat replacement alternative materials.
- Minimum 30% recycled content in plastic packaging by 2025.
- 100% Elimination of Polystyrene & PVC from Packaging formats by end 2025
Manufacturing Process Targets: Energy, Water, Waste
- Reduce energy (electricity & fuel) by 3.5% on each site from 2019 baseline usage per unit of output. This would be a reduction of 1,400,000 kWh – enough to power 334 homes with electricity a year.
- Reduce general waste by 10% from 2019 baseline for all sites. Tyholland packhouse to increase recycling to 60% recycled of total waste generated.
- Reduce water use per site by 3.5% from 2019 baseline usage per unit of output. This would be a reduction of 7,000,000 litres of water.
Social Sustainability Targets: Health and Nutrition, Employee Wellbeing, Community Engagement
- Increase the volume of nutritionally enhanced mushrooms (2% increase in sales volume per annum) & launch a range of meat replacement products in the market in Ireland and UK.
- Work towards growing mushrooms without pesticides
- Promote and encourage a culture of wellbeing within Monaghan in line with our company values through hosting events annually. Examples of events include; Wellbeing Week, exercise classes, Mental Health Courses.
- 30% Increase in Euro donated to local community organisations by end 2025 from 2020 baseline, 6% increase year on year – equates to a target total donated between 2021-2025 of €182,131